Sunday, September 27, 2009

Whee, Progress!

Today marks the end of the first week of training, bringing my sister and me ever closer to the big finish in January!

I must admit, when I got started today, all I could think was how I haven't really been able to run for more than a few minutes at a time (not to mention, my right hip-leg joint has been bothering me). But, I decided to try a new method: I would power walk for a few minutes (no slower than a 15 minute mile) and then run for one or two at a 12 minute mile pace.

This helped me so much! Using this method, I'll be able to work up to power walking for a couple minutes and running for at least five, and then switch to running entirely. See, just when I'm feeling down, I realize that not all hope is lost.

Also exciting news: I bought a scale and have finally started tracking my weight. I must be nuts to put it out here in the open, but it doesn't sound embarrassing when I think about the fact that I'll be making such progress.

Now, I've never been obese, but I've never been the healthiest weight I should (except for that time in 8th grade when I had the stomach flu and mouth/sinus surgery within weeks of each other--I looked awesome).

When I first moved up here, I was around 180 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. This was a result of senior year stress, auditions, and discovering McDonald's chicken sandwiches. Mmm.

When I went home for a few doctor's appointments at the end of August, I was down to 167.

Today I weighed 160 lbs.

Seriously, I could not be happier to type that number; even knowing that total strangers and good friends will be completely aware of how much I weigh doesn't bother me. I have come a long way and am so excited to think of where I'll be in January:

Healthier, a runner, the right weight, and (oh yeah) in Disney World.

Whee!

No comments:

Post a Comment