Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Stress, Art, and Nudity

We're about halfway into the second training week and I'm pooped.

Not from the actual work out itself, mind you; the time flew by today, courtesy of the TNT reruns of "Las Vegas," a show I know nothing about but now feel very invested in.

Urgh, I hate ending on a preposition.

More to the point, this week has had its own mental battles unrelated to the marathon, which made it harder to concentrate on the task at hand. It's times like these that I really need to take a few moments to just chill out and find my balance.

I find that art therapy--whether crayons and coloring books or acrylics and canvas--is totally helpful in placing me in a zen frame of mind. Just being able to focus on the pictures appearing in front of me by the work of my own hands calms me down. Arts and crafts are a relaxing and productive way to make you feel like you've accomplished something, while keeping you from freaking out all over the place.

Oh! But, on a positive non sequitur: having the goal of the marathon has led to me wanting to set other goals (some semi-related). One of the most recent ideas--once I'm all buff runner shaped--is to apply for Time Out's Naked New Yorkers issue. You write about why you would do the nude photo shoot and how you would artistically direct it; it's really about confidence and creativity, two things I'm all for!

Urgh, preposition!

Anyway, I strongly urge that you check out this year's winners. That guy in the gnome hat? He's a good friend of mine from college. Now if that doesn't inspire you to be more creative in life, I don't know what will! Hat's off to you, Dan.

Stay tuned tomorrow for a very special post on a very special day--see if you can figure out why!

No comments:

Post a Comment