Friday, September 11, 2009

The Last Time I Ran...

...Was my junior year of high school, required for P.E. class.

Seriously.

I mean, I've done dance classes and I really do enjoy using the elliptical, but I am not a runner. For one thing, my feet are completely flat and I'm knock-kneed. So, when I tell you that I ran/jogged for 5 minutes at the gym today, it's a big deal.

My gym (Planet Fitness) is about a 10 minute walk from my apartment--I make it using a brisk walking pace that serves as my warm-up. Today I hit the elliptical, power walked on the treadmill, jogged/ran, and walked to cool down, all for a total of a mile and a half; by September 21st, I need to be able to run an easy 3 miles.

And the amazing thing? This minor goal seems possible.

Which then makes me begin to think that perhaps, really, my big goal is possible, too.

They say that one of the toughest parts of a marathon is getting past the mental battle. I think that I may have begun to take that one on: I'm seriously beginning to believe that I can and will do this.

Not to mention, when I'm running in January, it won't just be along some road. I will be with my sister, running through Epcot, the Magic Kingdom, Disney/MGM Studios, and the Animal Kingdom. We will run through Cinderella's Castle.

I think I've got more than enough fight in me for the mental marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment