Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's Official

My sister and I are now paid and registered marathoners--no turning back now!

I must come to accept the fact that this is the real deal. We are registered to run 26.2 miles and become Mickey Mouse-approved athletes. I even purchased the commemorative pin--I want as much proof as possible that I actually did this crazy, crazy thing.

"How crazy?" you ask. Well, gentle readers--all three of you--let me enlighten you on the history of the marathon.

Back in the day, there was a Grecian man named Pheidippides. Dippi was a messenger who was sent from the town of Marathon to the city of Athens to report that the Greeks had defeated the Persians. He ran all the way to the assembly (quite a distance--perhaps 26.2 miles?) and declared, "We have won!"

Pheidippides then promptly keeled over and died.

...And I am voluntarily choosing to do this it-actually-killed-the-Greek-messenger-thing.

Isn't history fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment