Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Olympic Fever!

In case you didn't know, I love the Olympics.

Like, a big, ol' heart filled with international cooperation and friendship kind of love.

The XXI Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver will begin broadcasting February 12, 2010 on NBC, and I am so ridiculously excited! And there are so many reasons to get pumped about it, too.

The younger brother of the summer games, the winter games are often overlooked by many, which is sad, as they are awesome. Snowy and awesome! Snowboarding, ice dancing, speed skating--if you find yourself with a spare moment during the two weeks that span the Olympics, check them out.

I am really excited this year for women's figure skating: Yuna Kim, representing South Korea, is like no skater I have seen before. Even if you have no knowledge about figure skating, you can tell that she is extraordinary, both as an athlete and a performer. Watch her here: Yuna Kim "Gold". But don't think I'm forsaking anyone from Team USA: Rachael Flatt and (especially) Mirai Nagasu are going to give excellent performances, though I don't know if they can compare with Yuna.

Now, don't go thinking figure skating is the main thing for me. The other reason I get super stoked about the Winter Games? HOCKEY.

Yes, folks, I love hockey oh so much. And the fact that this year marks the 30th Anniversary of the 1980 Miracle On Ice just makes me even more thrilled to watch the Men's Ice Hockey medal rounds! Now, if anyone happened to have any free tickets to the Men's Gold Medal Round, I'd be happy to take them off your hands, thankyouverymuch.

Oh, well--I'll watch it from the comfort of the couch, and in the meantime, rewatch the movie Miracle and pretend I'm there :) If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It is one of my absolute favorites, a really beautiful story--and it'll speak to you, even if you don't like hockey (what a preposterous idea!).

As my sister typed to me earlier: do do do do do do do-do-do do do do do do do (BUMMM)!
It's the Olympic Theme by John Williams. Go ahead and hum it.

BUMMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment