Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's a Party in the USA

Authors's Note: This is an entry from a few days ago. I was unable to post at the time due to crazy internet bad things. Enjoy!

Go ahead and judge all you want; I love the new Miley Cyrus song!

Today, it was all I listened to while I walked/ran around our local park. It's a very motivational song, and nothing quite puts a bounce in your step like tween-pop that references Jay Z.

Music is very important to me all around, and with my training I've experimented with different kinds, to see what tunes keep me the most focused.

Some days, like today, I keep the same song on repeat for kicks (Beyonce's "Single Ladies" is awesome no matter how many times you hear it). On others, I go for music that has a beat I can keep pace with ("Ruby Blue" by Roisin Murphy is great for power-walking).

Above all, however, the music I keep coming back to is classical. Yes, folks, you read that right.

Ever since I was little, I have loved classical music: Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, all those crazy guys with weird names.

And, when I'm training, having long stretches of music with no lyrics is actually much better for me when it comes to getting in "the zone" and just running. I can concentrate less on how many miles I have left and more on the swell of the strings and crashes of the canons in The 1812 Overture.

I mean, I may be a nut, but it's a cultured nut who's happy to trot along with the string section.

And, really, at this point, I'll take all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment